Monday, July 29, 2013

Monday, July 29 -- Day of Blessings

Last night was rough. What I mean by that is Sophie was a rough sleeper. She can't on kicking, kneeing, and slapping Dustin and me last night. She had me on the edge of the bed. I guess Dustin had enough so he picked her up with a pillow underneath her and placed her in her pack n' play. She didn't wake up, so Dustin and I did get some peaceful hours of sleep in before we had to wake up in the morning. I showered and got ready for a day at the clinic. Then, Dustin woke up soon after me. Sophie was still asleep. We are going to just eat granola and fruit bars in the room for breakfast this morning since we have to meet early in the lobby. Sophie finally woke up to us rummaging around in the room. She was like what I am doing in this crib thing. However, she didn't cry. We got her up and I noticed as I was getting her dressed for the day that she had a heat rash on her arm. Great, this is just what I need! The spots on her arm and on her back that the doctor pointed out earlier were gone though. Hopefully, the doctor will take that into consideration. We skyped Dustin's mom real quick. David Ryan was in a better mood. He even told us all what he did (his) today. Well, I think my nerves was getting to me because I was afraid what the doctor may say about the heat rash, so I said something to Dustin about him taking her. I thought he may be in a better state of mind and actually hear what the doctor has to say. You know us women we have a million of things going on in our heads at once. Plus, he needs some bonding time with her. She still won't let him hold her, so now she may not have any choice. Once (or if we ever) we get home, football season starts for Dustin and he will be gone a lot during the fall with coaching high school football, so he needs to bond with her now.

It was about time (9:30) for them to go to the lobby to meet the guide, so I started getting the bag ready for Dustin. Sophie knows this routine, she even got her shoes and put them on by herself and was waiting at the door. She loves to be on the go. Dustin and her went out the door and she turned around and said "momma" like come on momma lets go. I said momma is staying here and I  told her bye. She eventually said bye and seemed to be fine as her and Dustin headed out. While they were gone, I prayed and prayed that everything would be okay especially with the heat rash. About 11 am, house keeping knocked on the door. So, I decided to go downstairs to the lobby and hang out while they cleaned the room and possibly wait for Dustin to get back I ran into Catherine, one of our guides, in the lobby and she said Dustin should be back soon. Three minutes later, I see Dustin and Sophie get out of a taxi by themselves (what happened to the other family) and holding hands. I met them by the door and I told Dustin housekeeping was in our room. Sophie had a big smile on her face and said "momma." I picked her up. And I asked Dustin to give me the news. He said by the time they got to the clinic's room and had undress her the heat rash on her arm was gone (Praise God!). Dustin did say he made sure that he pointed out those two spots that they were concerned with before were gone. He said they did notice that. Dustin said after they looked her over they talked to each other for a very long time. The doctors said they will have to talk to the CDC before they can make their final decision. There isn't too much to tell you about this, because the doctors spoke Chinese and Dustin had a guide interpreting back to him. All he knows is that the CDC wants us to come back 24 hours (which is Wednesday) to be checked out again prior to our U.S Consulate appointment. So, we are still not in the clear. Pray for no more heat rashes or bug bites before Wednesday. The other families (including the little girl who they thought had the chicken pox for real) who had to come back today has their U.S Consulate tomorrow morning and they didn't really say anything to them either, so I guess it is okay for them to go tomorrow. We just want to be able to go home Saturday. We haven't been able to venture out too much out of our hotel and can't mingle with the other families. I also asked Dustin had Sophie did with just him and her. He said she was fine, she even let him hold her. When he was telling me this, he reached out to hold her and she shook her head no. She will let him hold her if I am not around.

It was lunch time for us when they got back since we didn't have our normal feast for breakfast. We decided to go back to the Japanese restaurant inside our hotel, because it was close and we were hungry. Plus, Dustin wanted that sushi platter again. I got the beef tips again and Sophie had white rice. Then, we came back to our hotel room for a nap, because we had to meet in the lobby at 2:30 for a tour to the temple for a baby blessing. Sophie fought her nap today, but after a few whimpering she finally went to sleep.

We met in the lobby with our six "quarantined" families, but two of the families were not going. So, it was just four families going and our guide David. The temple wasn't that far, we were there like in 10 minutes. We got a tour of this temple and at the end was the baby blessing. You had to take your shoes off before you entered the temple. We knelled with our babies and a monk said something in Chinese and sprinkled water on us and the babies. Our guide reassured us this doesn't interfere with our own religious beliefs. I know who my Christian God is, and I have already been praising him for clearing the heat rash at the clinic today. Then, they gave us 15 minutes to walk around on our own and take pictures. They were burning incense (plus it was really humid) and didn't go well with what I had for lunch. I was nauseated for the rest of day.

When we got to our hotel, we had David get us a taxi to the China Plaza, because we needed to get more snacks. On the way to the Plaza, I started feeling bad. I think the mixture with the incense and the crazy cab ride did it in for me. Thankfully, the cab ride wasn't that long to the Plaza. The China Plaza is seven stories. It is a mall with a grocery store on the 4th floor. We got more water, Pepsi (the Pepsi here tastes better than at home), baby smoothie drinks, Chinese candy for a gift, and more Oreo cookies. All of this cost $7.00 U.S dollars, couldn't have done that at home. It took a little while getting a taxi back. But, we eventually got one. We ran into one of the families that we are quarantined from in the elevator. The are from Idaho. They leave tomorrow afternoon, their U.S Consulate appointment was today, so they are good to go. They were also the first family to go through the newly located U.S Consulate. Once you take the oath at the U.S Consulate, you are good to go home. They give you your child's VISA the next day and then you can go home. That is why it is important that we are cleared on Wednesday from the Medical Clinic so they won't reschedule our Consulate appointment. Anyway, the other "non-quarantined" families are going on a river boat cruise tonight.

We just hung out in our hotel room for the rest of the evening since I wasn't feeling so good. We even ate in our room tonight. We had peanut butter crackers to save some money from going out to eat. We are having to pay taxi fare everytime we go to the Medical Clinic.

Sophie is starting to test the boundaries more and more. She wanted more cheerios after having two bowls already plus some gold fish and peanut butter crackers, so she wasn't hungry. She just thinks she has to eat all the time. We told her no and she cried bloody murder. She doesn't just cry but she screams this piercing scream at the top of her lungs. She doesn't like being told no and not getting her way. She better get use to this. Dustin and I left her and went in the bathroom to let her cry it out and guess what, she stopped crying. I think we will be having an early bedtime tonight. As I write this now, I am making her bath water. Hopefully, tomorrow we can go back to Shamian Island to do some shopping and more laundry, because I don't know when else we will get the chance. Wednesday we have to go back to the Medical Clinic. Thursday is our Consulate appointment. Friday we leave for Hong Kong (yay).These Medical Clinic visits has gotten in our way in doing any tours like the zoo.

So, today we had the baby blessing at the temple. However, we have had many blessings given to us by our Lord. The blessing of today that I am praising is the fact that the heat rash is gone and we are getting closer in being cleared to go home. But, the biggest blessing of all is that we are in China and we do have Sophie and now a family of four. Thank you everyone for your prayers!

                                         
                                                   Sleeping in the pack n' play


                                                   Baby blessing at the temple






No comments:

Post a Comment