Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Tuesday, July 23 ---More paperwork and a hungry baby

We got to sleep in this morning. Well, by sleeping in... we have been waking up about 4 am here in China and just cant go back to sleep. Today, we slept to 5 am, but Sophie still slept until 7 am. So, were able to both take showers and get things ready for today before she woke up. We were worried that she would freak out when she woke up, but she didn't. She just looked around for a few minutes. Then, Dustin got her laughing. I took her to the potty and she peed and her diaper was dry (yay- you parents know about this excitement). Well, she doesnt fit in the 18 months clothes, but she can wear the 18 months pants and shorts, just not the dresses or shirts. She is more of a 24 mo/ 2T. She didn't cry again me changing her. She had to have a bow in her hair.

We went to breakfast and she was a bottomless pit. She ate everything on her plate. It takes me bribing David Ryan to get him to eat, so this took me by shock that she cleaned her plate. She probably would have ate more if we put more on her plate. They say you need to monitor what they eat, because they tend to gorge themselves since they are not use to all this food. She loves feeding her daddy. And daddy was eating it up, physically and literally.

We went back to the room to Skype before our morning appointment. Of course, we skyped the grandparents, but this morning it was the first time we skyped my sister and her family. They loved seeing her and Sophie was just of waving to them. We even got her to say "Sissy" that is what we call my niece Kennedy. I think Kennedy really enjoyed that!. Then, we skyped my mom again because my other sister came over after work to see Sophie which was her first time also to see her. Sophie stole her heart as well. She saw her PawPaw and said "pawpaw" clearly as day. I dont know what it is but all the grandchildren especially the girls love their pawpaw. David Ryan enjoyed seeing Sophie this time, he was just of laughing at her hitting their daddy and would tell her to do it again. Then, he tried getting her through the computer. David Ryan told us "I want Sophie home." I am glad that he taking more of an interest of her now. I can't wait to get these two together. She is going to love her big brother! She loves watching the other big brothers here play with their new little sisters.

Time to go back to the Civil Affairs Office to do more paperwork. I afraid about how she was going to react going to the same place we got her the day before. She did good, she just didn't want me to put her down. We took our family photo. (Hey mom, she had to wear her backpack today because we were wearing ours and she wouldnt take it off for the photo) We had to go into two different rooms and sign papers and to answer some questions. The questions were just general questions about us like how old are you, how many biological children do you have, how long have you been married, etc. Then, they asked questions like are you satisfied with this child-duh. No, giving her back now, we are already in love. Then, we had to promise to never abandon her, never abuse her, and to give her a good education. Then, we were done. Oh yeah, they also gave us back her photo album that we sent months ago to prepare her (which it did!). She loves looking at it and pointing to things and hearing us tell her who everyone is. She especially likes looking at our house. They also gave us a copy of her newspaper abandonment article, which is in Chinese- lol.

Today we ate lunch in the hotel room. We just snacked on bananas and peanut butter n' crackers. Then, it was nap time. The nannies said Sophie takes an hour nap after lunch. I got her to pee on the toilet (sorry about all the restroom talk but this is part of it). She cried again. She doesnt like bedtime, so I had to hold her again until she fell asleep. Both Dustin and I took a nap also. She woke up exactly an hour later. We played in the room until it was time to meet our travel group in the lobby for a group supper. Our guides are taking us to a local Cantonese restaurant.

The Cantonese restaurant was great. It has a lazy susan on the table where you spin and get whatever you want. Our guides are already ordered for us, which I am glad because this was a local restaurant (not very many English speaking workers here). Pretty much everyone at our hotel speaks and understands English. You could tell what dishes everyone liked. We had to order some more pork barbecue slices. Sophie enjoyed everything. Unlike breakfast time, we didn't put so much on her plate. At breakfast, I gave her a little bit of everything to see what she likes. Well, we had to sit there until she ate everything. She wouldn't let us take her plate until she had eaten everything (poor thing - did they starve this child). Anyway, we learned our lesson. Also, you don't want them to gorge themselves too much because they will get sick. They just dont know when they are full or when to stop eating. It was funny, tonight she literally licked her bowl clean. I was so amazed how much and all of what this girl eats. I have to bribe David Ryan to eat his vegetables. Maybe Sophie can teach David Ryan how to eat. Dustin now has an eating partner-lol. The family at our table was so impressed of how she is doing (their little one is around 15 months). They commented about how she has such a personality. They were also impressed that Sophie turned to me last night, pointed to me, and said "momma" (which she has been doing since day one). We told them we got lucky that her foster parents really prepared her- another answered prayer. I do love hearing her say "momma."

When we got to the hotel, we let Sophie play awhile. According to her schedule from her orphanage, she usually has a bath after she eats and then they let her watch tv for about an hour and a half before bedtime. We are trying to stick to her schedule for now.

I have heard horror stories about the adoptive child's first bath experience. Some orphanages just sponge  bath them. We didn't bathe her last night. It was a long and overwhelming night. I made the bath water and put her in. She just sit there. Dustin gave her stacking cups. Then, she started playing. She started pouring water in them, she loved it. She let me wash her. Then, she even let me wash her hair. David Ryan hates that part. She even poured water on her own head and laughed, she is so precious.

Bedtime went a little better tonight. I held out my hands, laid on the bed, and said "night night time." She kinda of whimpered for a little bit, but she crawled to me and just laid her little body on my chest (like I had her to do the night before) and she was asleep in like five minutes. I was going to move her into her crib after she fell into a deep sleep, but I feel asleep myself. Oh well, maybe tomorrow night. During the night, Sophie had to be real close to me or always touching me. If she moved, she would feel around and would make sure at least one part of her body was touching mine. Then, she did the same with Dustin when I got up for the morning (Dustin was eating that up, he even admitted to me that he is going to spoil her but not that much he says). I guess she is checking that we are still here and haven't left her left her. Did I mention how precious she is ( a gift from God)?

Enjoy the pictures:


                                                         Sleeping in Tuesday morning                                                      


                                               Breakfast Time!




                             Waiting (with her backpack on) at the Civil Affairs Office for more paperwork



No comments:

Post a Comment